Déjà Vu


Prologue



BOOM! CLASH!

I was jolted from sleep by a clash of lightning and thunder. The room is dark and cold. Occasional flashes of lightning brighten the room, creating a creepy ambiance.
‘I’m sixteen, and I’m still scared of storms’, I shiver.

Gusts of wind are blowing harshly through the trees, bending them, making them look like creatures in the shadow.

The furious howl of the wind accompanied by the piercing clash of thunder made me jump off my bed. ‘I can’t take this anymore,’ I say to myself as I turned on the bedside lamp. The bleary light of the digital watch beside the lamp caught my attention.

12:00

‘Midnight...’ I was even more freaked out. ‘Why is it that I’m looking at this watch at exactly midnight?’

I decided not to think about it anymore, ‘Just go back to sleep and don’t scare yourself,’ I sighed. ‘It will be a fine, bright day when you wake up.’


I.


I fell into a dreamless sleep, and when I woke up, it wasn’t what I had expected.
The day which I thought will be a beautiful one, just like how a prairie is after a storm, turned out to be the exact opposite of what I had in mind before I slept. ‘Oh well,’ I sighed as I went to the bathroom to do the usual morning routine. ‘At least it isn’t too dark anymore…’
After that hot, steamy bath, I went downstairs to have breakfast. It’s already 8 o’clock and it’s raining harder than ever.
Hmm… it seems quiet. Way too quiet. Where are my parents? They’re usually having breakfast at this hour.
Stomach growling, I went to the fridge to find something to eat. There, on the refrigerator door, was a note from Mom.

Roxanne,
Your Dad and I have a some errands to run. There are some leftovers in the fridge, but you can barbeque the marinated meat if the weather’s improved, or you can just call for delivery. We still haven’t been able to do the groceries, so I don’t think you have a lot of choices for your meals. Sorry. I left some money for you in our room.
Remember our house rules, ok? And mind your responsibilities.
God bless you.
Love,
Mom
P.S.
We don’t know what time we’ll be able to get back home. It depends on the errands we have to run, ok?




‘Oh well, At least Ate Karen’s still here.’ I sigh again as I scan the fridge for leftovers. ‘Hmm… How about some spaghetti? Not for breakfast. Roast beef? Nope. I’m not in the mood for roast beef. Vegetable Salad? Urgh, this is still from our Noche Buena. Eww.’
Looking in the freezer, I found some poultry and meat, ready to be barbequed. ‘Great. Just great!’ I cried out, stomping my feet with the normal attitude of a teenager.
Mumbling to myself all the way to the phone, I searched the drawers for the delivery numbers. ‘Hmm… McDonald’s? Jollibee? Red Ribbon? Aling Nena’s Eatery? Oh well, McDonald’s will just have to do.’
Picking up the phone, I dialed.
Rrrrrring!
Rrrrrring!
Operator: 8-MCDO Delivery, how may I help you?
Me: Oh yes, good morning. Uh, I’m gonna ha -
Operator: - We’re sorry, but due to the state of weather, we will not be able to make any deliveries today. Sorry for the inconvenience.


‘Grr… So much for 24-hour delivery! I really hate talking to answering machines! Alright then, let’s give the others a shot.’

A few minutes later…

‘I hate this! I hate this! I hate this!!!’ I groaned, placing the receiver back. ‘What’s left? Aling Nena’s Eatery…”

Aling Nena: Good morning!
Me: Hi Aling Nena, its Roxanne. May I have a -
Aling Nena: Oh, dear, I’m sorry, but we can’t accept any deliveries today… The weather is just too bad for our delivery man.
Me: B-b-but… I’m just a block away! Can’t you take it into consideration? Please?
Aling Nena: I’m very sorry dear, but we really can’t. You’re welcome to come here, though.
Me: Oh well. Thanks anyway. The rain is too strong.


Sighing, I put down the phone and went off to wake Ate Karen, but on the way up, I remembered something VERY important: My one and only sister is not here today. She slept over at her best friend’s house last night. I almost cried at that point. There’s a storm right now, I’m all alone in the house in this creepy weather, and I’m starving. Sighing, I sank into the sofa in a stupor, praying for my parents to come home.

RRRRrrriiiinnggg!!!!






III.





RRRRrrriiiinnggg!!!!

It was the doorbell.

Snapping back to reality, I jumped to the door, got the umbrella and ran to the gate. ‘I hope it’s my parents! God sure answers prayers real quick…’
Expecting to see our car as I opened the gate, I looked up to see a man holding an umbrella and a very pregnant woman in a cape whose face is hidden. I almost jumped from my skin in shock and surprise. A horde of different thoughts filled my mind. ‘What should I do? I don’t know these people,’ I was freaking out.

“Excuse me,” said the man. “we’re having some trouble here with our car. I’ve managed to call this tra- uh, what’s it called again, honey?” The man asked the woman, looking at the motorcycle with a side car attached to it.
“Tricycle,” said the woman in the cape.
‘Hmm. Her voice seems familiar,” I thought. “and the man looks kind of familiar too,’
“Please,” the woman continued. “Our car broke down and my husband is going to the town for some help and I don’t think I’m up for some more traveling.” she said, referring to her swollen belly and the state of the weather. “Would you please allow me to stay in your place for a while? You don’t have to fuss over me or anything…”

I looked at the couple, and felt a rush of compassion for them.

“I guess its okay.” I said. “but I’m having a bit of a problem here myself. You see, I don’t have any food to provide you.”

“Oh, it’s alright. We have a lot of packed stuff here” said the woman.

‘Great! Thank God!’, I thought.

“Gee, alright then. Welcome to my home.” I shrugged.

“Bye honey,” said the woman, kissing her husband goodbye. “Take care!”

“Take care of yourselves too,” said the man. “All three of you,” he smiled and waved goodbye, riding the tricycle.




IV.





The woman and I almost ran to the front door of my house. We were really soaked with the rain.
“So, this is our house.” I said, as we entered the living room. “It’s not much, but it’s home. I’ll go prepare some snacks” I went to the kitchen to take care of the packed foods and to get some eating utensils. “You make yourself right at home, alright?”

“It’s really great!” said the woman, still in the living room. “By the way, where can I change my clothes? And, uh, I still don’t know your name.”

“You can change in the bathroom. The door’s at your left.” Mentally, I was kicking myself for my utter foolishness and naivety. I just let a complete stranger in our house. A couple of ‘what-if’s’ ran through my mind. Oh well. She seems like a nice woman anyway.

“Uh, I’m Roxanne,” I said, walking into the dining room as she walked from the bathroom and into the living room. “And you are?”

As she turned to face me, I was so shocked that I almost dropped the plates I’m holding.

“Oh, I’m Lea…” she said.

“Lea… Salonga.” I choked out.

She smiled.



V.





I am so embarrassed.

I’m a lifetime fan of this international superstar, and she’s standing right there in the middle of our living room.

“Are you ok?” Lea asked. Lea Salonga. The Miss Saigon. The Tony Award Winner. THE Lea Salonga. “You seem a bit pale…”

“Er, I’m fine… I’m just preparing some snacks…” I stuttered. I’m still in a state of shock.

“Great!” she said. “It’s chow time! Come on, I’ll go help you prepare”

“Gee, thanks.” I blushed.

And so, we went off to the kitchen.




VI.





The day couldn’t be any better. Although the weather is still at its worst, MY day couldn’t get any better.
What could be better than hanging around with your favorite celebrity and idol, and exchanging stories?

“Oh yeah,” I remembered, “I have to call my mom; I still haven’t told her that you’re here.”

The phone call with my mom went smoother than what I had expected. At first, I thought that she’s going to think that I’m psychotic or I’m hallucinating or something. But, well, she believed me.

“Great!” I went back to the couch where we were lounging. “She says it’s okay.” I laughed as I grabbed some chips. “I thought she won’t believe me, or that she’ll think I’ve gone loco or something.”

“Really?” said Lea, laughing. “Why would she think that?”

“Well, you see, I’m a really big fan of yours…” I explained. “Hope I’m not freaking you out because it was almost an obsession. I mean, I wanted to be like you and so I tried my luck in theater but I can’t do anything in this province. We’re not really that active in stage performing.”

“Oh... Don’t worry, I’m not freaked out.” she said, laughing. “What do you do now? Where are you studying?”

“Well, I’m a freshman right now at the University of the Philippine’s College of Music, majoring in violin.” I answered. Wow. This feels like a talk show. Ha-ha!


“Wow! Really?” she exclaimed. “I’ve always wanted to learn how to play the violin!”

“Yeah,” I laughed. “I kind of knew that already.”

“Yeah?” She chuckled. “You know, it’s pretty quiet here at your place. What do you do all day, especially during this kind of weather?”

“Well, I just like surfing the net, sketching, singing, playing the piano, and well, I practice my violin 24/7. I can go on for days, just practicing and practicing and practicing. You see, if something you do is really your passion, sometimes, you wouldn’t have the mind to do anything else. You just love that to do it so much, that you even forget that a day has passed. And besides, I have been playing the violin for two years only. I have to catch up with the level of my classmates.”

She was staring at me intently.

“Yes. I know what you mean. Even I have experienced that.”

“Really?”

“Yes. So, two years, huh? You must have practiced really hard.”

“I did, and I still do.”

“Doing something you’re very passionate about is very fulfilling.”

“It is.” I agreed. “Oh, hey, the rain has stopped!”

“Indeed…” she whispered. “It’s so beautiful outside..”

RRRRrrrinngg!!! RRRRrrrinngg!!!




VII.





RRRRrrrinngg!!! RRRRrrrinngg!!!

I opened my eyes.

Sunshine shocked me as my eyes adjusted to the light.

RRRRrrrinngg!!! RRRRrrrinngg!!!

I reached out and snoozed the clock. Weird. It’s 8 o’clock. I didn’t even remember going to bed.

Where’s Lea?

I pondered over a lot of things as I went down the stairs.

There in the dining room, sat my parents and my sister.

“Mom? Dad? Ate? What time did you arrive? Where’s Lea?” I asked, in a state of confusion.

“Silly. What are you talking about?” My sister teased, “You’re really getting old.”

“Mom?” Alright, now I’m even more confused.

“What are you talking about? And Lea who?” asked my Mom. “Are feeling sick?”

“Maybe she is. I think we should go to the hospital,” my dad suggested.

“No, Dad, I’m perfectly fine.” I said. “I just had a… dream… that’s all.”

‘A dream? Was it really a dream?’ I kept asking myself, perplexed.

“Alright” said Mom, “but if you feel a little different, tell me, ok? There’s a really big storm coming later. And, Karen, make sure you’ve packed everything for your sleepover.”

‘A storm? Hadn’t it just ceased?’ I wanted to ask, but I kept silent to avoid further interrogation.



VIII.





‘What a weird day. Way too weird.’ I pondered as I got myself ready for bed. Although it was a weird day for me, I got through it fine enough.

The sky is getting darker now, and storm clouds are rolling in the sky.

‘Oh boy’, I mused as I looked out the window. ‘This is going to be a scary storm.’

With that thought in mind, I lay down to a fitful sleep, bothered by the constant rage of the storm.



EPILOGUE




BOOM! CLASH!

I was jolted from sleep by a clash of lightning and thunder. The room is dark, and it was cold. Occasional flashes of lightning brighten the room, creating a creepy ambiance.
‘I’m sixteen, and I’m still scared of storms’, I shiver.

Gusts of wind are blowing harshly through the trees, bending them, making them look like creatures in the shadow.

The furious howl of the wind accompanied by the piercing clash of thunder made me jump off my bed. ‘I can’t take this anymore,’ I say to myself as I switch the bedside lamp. The bleary light of the digital watch beside the lamp caught my attention.

12:00 A.M.

‘Midnight… Midnight?!’


Déjà Vu.

THE END

Comments

Popular Posts